Chorizo-Queso Egg Rolls
Little bites deliver big flavor in this combination of tangy sausage and creamy cheese in crisp wontons. The recipe is an appetizing takeoff on my favorite Mexican entree. —Kari Wheaton, South Beloit, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 6 ounces uncooked chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped green chilies
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Oil for frying
- For dipping sauce, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream cheese, cilantro and chipotle peppers. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; cook for 6-8 minutes over medium heat or until fully cooked. Drain. Stir in the queso fresco, enchilada sauce and chilies.
- Position a wonton wrapper with one point toward you. Place 2 teaspoons of filling in the center. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with water; press to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with dipping sauce.
Editor's NoteFill wonton wrappers a few at a time, keeping the others covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
Originally published as Chori-Queso Bites with Smokey Dipping Sauce in Country Woman November/December 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.