Chipotle Chicken Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
I combined two of my favorite soup recipes to come up with this filling soup that has a Tex-Mex flair. The cornmeal dumplings are the perfect finishing touch. —Nancy Granaman, Burlington, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, mash half of beans. Transfer mashed and remaining beans to a Dutch oven. Add the tomatoes, broth, water, cumin and chipotle pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg white, muffin mix and baking mix; stir in milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering), 10-12 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 356 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Chipotle Chicken Soup with Corn Meal Dumplings in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.