Chipotle Chicken Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
I combined two of my favorite soup recipes to come up with this filling soup that has a Tex-Mex flair. The cornmeal dumplings are the perfect finishing touch. —Nancy Granaman, Burlington, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) cornbread/muffin mix
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, mash half the beans. Transfer mashed and remaining beans to a Dutch oven. Add the tomatoes, broth, water, cumin and chipotle pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, egg white, muffin mix and baking mix; stir in milk. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering), 10-12 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with cilantro if desired.