Cherry Pull-Apart Bread
Every year I make a huge batch of my cherry bread —some goes to friends as a special treat, and the rest we enjoy as part of our Christmas breakfast. Refrigerated biscuits give the texture of scones to a pretty loaf that's much quicker than yeast bread made from scratch. —Beverly Batty, Forest Lake, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (8 servings)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated flaky biscuits (8 count)
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in almonds, cherries and extract until crumbly and well blended.
- Split biscuits horizontally in half. Line bottom of a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan with three biscuit halves. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons crumb mixture over biscuits; press gently into dough.
- Place remaining biscuit halves on a lightly floured surface. Top each with remaining crumb mixture; press gently to adhere. Stack seven of the topped biscuits; place stack sideways at one end of the pan, facing crumb sides inward. Repeat with remaining six biscuits, placing stack at opposite end of pan, again facing crumb sides inward.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a serving plate.
- For icing, mix confectioners' sugar, butter, extract and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over warm bread. Top with almonds and cherries.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 319 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Pull Apart Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.