Cherry Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes4 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk just until blended (batter will be thick).
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Fold in cherries and pecans.
- Transfer to four greased and floured 8x4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and loaves are golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 148 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
May 15, 2018
Bread was dry. Would not make again.
Nov 13, 2017
So delicious and because it makes 4 loaves it’s great to give as presents in decorative packaging with pretty ribbons!
Jul 7, 2010
I love this quick bread! It's moist and pretty, and goes well with a cup of coffee in the morning.
Jan 3, 2010
My mom made these for christmas, she was tired of making her usual banana bread. This bread was wonderful! Loved the cherry flavor. I logged on to get the recipe myself, so I can make more!
Dec 24, 2009
These make wonderful Christmas gifts!Every one loves them!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.