At the restaurant, we always made three dressings to go with this chef salad...blue cheese, French and Thousand Island. At home, I had to serve all three dressings, too, because everyone had their favorite. Sometimes the kids would use a tablespoon of each. —Eleanore Hill, Fresno, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained, optional
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup julienned fully cooked ham
- 1 cup julienned Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup each ketchup, sweet pickle relish and chopped onion
- Dash garlic salt
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuce, beans if desired, onion, radishes, cucumber and tomato. Arrange ham and cheese on top. Cover and refrigerate until serving. In a small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; stir until well blended. Chill for 1 hour. Serve with the salad.
Originally published as Chef's Salad in Reminisce May/June 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.