Garden Tossed Salad
My Italian grandma grew all of her produce in her backyard garden, so many of her recipes made good use of her bountiful fresh vegetables. This salad is refreshing with any main course and one of our favorites because of the flavors of my Italian heritage. -Rosalie Rizzolo-Wright, San Jose, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 8 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese
- In a large salad bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper; shake well. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 82 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Garden Tossed Salad in Reminisce September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.