Autumn Tossed Salad
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a blender, combine the lemon juice, sugar, onion, mustard and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds. Transfer to a small pitcher or bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, cashews, apple, pear and cranberries. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 16, 2017
Not bad, but not particularly exciting. I found that the dressing recipe made way too much for this salad, so unless you have something else that you could use it on, you might consider cutting it in half.
Oct 15, 2017
Quick, easy to make and flavorful!
Jan 4, 2017
Everyone loves it whenever I take it to a gathering.
Mar 31, 2015
Great salad, I take it to all pot luck parties. I usually use Asian pears because they are firmer.
Nov 18, 2010
This salad is fantastic!! The flavors are very subtle, but you can taste every one of them (I thought the Swiss cheese would be weird, but it was PERFECT!!!) Thanks so much for this wonderful recipe.
Oct 20, 2010
One of my favorite winter salads, I usually make without the pear , just apples. To make ahead, prepare the dressing and slice the apples into the dressing, put remainder of ingredients together then toss dressing with salad just before serving.
Aug 31, 2010
This combination of greens, fruit, nuts and cheese is wonderful! But I often "cheat" and use a bottled poppy seed dressing.
Mar 19, 2010
I made this as part of a Thanksgiving dinner and that one time was all it took. My family asks for this salad ALL the time. Make it, you won't be sorry!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.