The rich-tasting filling of this appetizer is made with mozzarella and ricotta cheese, then baked between buttery layered dough.—Jean L. Ecos, Hartland, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella or Muenster cheese
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (18x14 inches)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg white, ricotta and parsley. Stir in mozzarella cheese; set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough; cut the stack of sheets in half widthwise. Place one sheet of phyllo dough in a greased 13x9-in. baking pan; brush with butter. Repeat nine times (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out).
- Spread cheese mixture evenly over top. Layer with remaining dough, brushing butter on every other sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into triangles or squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Boereg in Taste of Home February/March 2002