Goat Cheese Wontons
Tangy goat cheese and fresh herb flavors shine through in every bite of these crispy bundles. The egg roll-like snacks are a simple, but impressive addition to your holiday appetizer offerings.—Carla DeVelder, Mishawaka, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh basil, parsley and chives
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 16 wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, herbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Beat egg and water.
- Place 1 tablespoon cheese mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold sides toward center over filling. Moisten remaining corner with egg; roll up tightly to seal.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wontons, a few at a time, for 30-60 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 99 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Goat Cheese Cigars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009