Grilled Vegetable and Goat Cheese Napoleons
Vegetarian or not, your guests will savor this meatless entree at your next summer soiree. —Joan Meyer, New York, New York
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 package (5.3 ounces) fresh goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- Brush tomatoes with 2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with oregano, basil and 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Brush zucchini and yellow squash with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place vegetables in a grill wok or basket. Grill, uncovered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms. Brush mushrooms and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Grill eggplant, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the goat cheese, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and remaining pepper.
- Place mushrooms on a greased baking sheet; spread each with 2 teaspoons cheese mixture. Layer with zucchini, squash, 2 teaspoons cheese mixture, eggplant and remaining cheese mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and tomato. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- In a large skillet, saute remaining garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add spinach; cook for 4-5 minutes or until wilted. Divide among four plates; top each with a mushroom stack. Drizzle with vinaigrette.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 377 calories, 27g fat (9g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 833mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Grilled vegetable and goat cheese Napolean in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012