Goat Cheese & Onion Pastries
A flaky puff pastry crust holds sweet caramelized onions and creamy goat cheese for an easy yet upscale appetizer. The recipe is a must on all our entertaining menus. —Heidi Ellis, Monument, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 log (4 ounces) fresh goat cheese, cut into 12 slices
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 teaspoons in pan. Add onions, shallots and sugar to drippings; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are golden brown, 15-20 minutes.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in thyme, garlic and pepper. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated, 2-3 minutes. Stir in bacon.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Cut into three 9x3-in. rectangles. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush dough with egg white; top with onion mixture and goat cheese. Bake until golden brown, 16-20 minutes. Cut each rectangle into four appetizers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 168 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 186mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.