Brie Mushroom Pastries
You can use this recipe for parties as an appetizer or for dinner gatherings as the first course. The rustic and savory taste of the mushrooms is balanced by tangy Brie and delicate puff pastry. —Vivi Taylor, Middleburg, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 small baby portobello mushrooms (about 6 ounces), stems removed
- 3 ounces diced pancetta or bacon strips (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 pound baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 ounces Brie cheese, cut into 12 cubes (1/2 inch)
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Place whole mushrooms in pan, stem side down; cook 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- In same pan, saute pancetta over medium heat until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add chopped mushrooms; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add shallots and garlic; cook and stir until juices have evaporated, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 15x12-in. rectangle. Cut 12 circles with a floured 3-in. round cookie cutter (save scraps for another use). Press each into a greased muffin cup; prick bottoms with a fork. Brush lightly with beaten egg.
- Fill whole mushrooms with cheese; place in pastry cups, cheese side up. Top with pancetta mixture. Bake until pastry is golden brown, 12-15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers. Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked pastries in muffin pan until firm. Transfer pastries to freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper; return to freezer. To use, place pastries in muffin pans; cover and thaw in refrigerator overnight. Bake as directed.
To make these appetizers ahead of time, place the muffin tin in the freezer until the filling is set, then remove the pastries, wrap individually and freeze. To bake, place the frozen pastries back into an oiled muffin tin, cover with a clean towel and let thaw about an hour. Bake as directed.