Brie and Wild Mushroom Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
Makes16 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 2 cups cream sherry
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (such as shiitake, cremini and oyster)
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese, rind removed, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Place sherry in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced by half. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Add mushrooms and shallots; saute until tender. Add parsley and lemon juice. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth and reduced sherry.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted. Add the cream, salt and pepper; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 167 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 19, 2019
This soup is so easy. I used regular sherry as I didn't have cream sherry. I had baby bellas and white button mushrooms. I used my immersion blender before I added the cheese. I may use Mushroom broth the next time. I served it with a green salad and crusty sourdough bread. It was absolutely delicious! Wish I could add the picture I posted on Facebook!
Dec 9, 2014
I've made many versions of this delicious soup! I also used baby Bella's and crimini mushrooms! The one important factor to me is a creamy soup! I used my quick prep hand blender! Served in toasted bread bowls! Yummy
Apr 13, 2013
Just what I was looking for. I substituted onions for shallots and added 1/2 tsp tyme. I used baby bella mushrooms 24oz. Very rich and tasty, agree it is upper end restaurant quality soup. Will make again and share. A keeper! Thank you tasteofhome!
Dec 24, 2012
This soup was wonderful, not too rich but full of flavor. I used oyster, baby Bella and shiitake mushrooms. Will definitely make again. My husband agreed that it was high end restaurant quality and easy to make.