Creamy Mushroom Bruschetta
Mushroom—button, portobello and shiitake—plus a lovely blend of herbs make a hearty, flavorful topping for bruschetta.—Amy Chase, Vanderhoof, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 28 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon each minced fresh basil, parsley and thyme
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms and onion in oil for 6-7 minutes or until mushrooms are browned. Stir in the cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place baguette slices on ungreased baking sheets. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Rub garlic over toasts; discard garlic.
- Stir the basil, parsley and thyme into mushroom mixture; heat through. Spoon about 1 tablespoonful on each toast. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 94 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Creamy Mushroom Bruschetta in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011