Baked Brie with Mushrooms
My sister craves this appetizer so much that I made a batch and carried it on the plane when I flew to New Mexico to visit her. The combination of creamy Brie with earthy sauteed mushrooms is scrumptious. —Melody Ansell, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sliced fresh assorted mushrooms
- 2 small red onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2/3 cup port wine
- 1 round (8 ounces) Brie cheese
- Toasted French bread baguette slices
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper; cook until golden brown, 12-14 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Remove rind from top of cheese. Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Top with mushroom mixture. Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes. Serve with baguette slices.
Editor’s Note: For assorted mushrooms, we recommend a mixture of white button, baby portobello, shiitake and oyster mushrooms.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without baguette): 157 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Best Brie Ever in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017