Baked Cod with Mushrooms
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 small fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cod fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, jalapeno and onion in 2 teaspoons butter until tender. Place fillets in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon-pepper, steak seasoning and bread crumbs. Top with mushroom mixture. Divide remaining butter and place on each fillet.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
This recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 199 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 27, 2011
Very easy and quick. I used white fish and green pepper instead of jalapeno. Very delicious.
Nov 2, 2010
Very nice, not bad at all :-0 actually we loved it! mtnmama
Oct 7, 2009
I left out the jalepeno b/c DH doesn't like them and it was still good!
Dec 14, 2008
I like to try a new recipe at least once a week. I was looking for easy ones made with ingredients I had already. The only ingredient I had to buy for this was the cod fish. I used sweet peppers instead of jalapeno and it was GREAT! My husband and I loved this recipe.