Cod has a soft, buttery appeal that goes with cilantro, onions and crunchy pine nuts. This is the easiest cod preparation I’ve found. —Lucy Lu Wang, Seattle, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or sliced almonds
- Pat cod dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown fillets lightly on both sides; remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until softened, 4-5 minutes. Stir in wine; cook until onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes longer. Return cod to pan. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 2-3 minutes.
- Remove cod from pan. Stir cilantro and pine nuts into onion; serve with fish.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 1/4 cup onion mixture: 378 calories, 24g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 691mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Seared Fresh Atlantic Cod w/ Cilantro, Caramelized Onions, and Pine Nuts in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.