Cod with Sweet Peppers
“This quick and delicious recipe is a long-time family favorite,” notes Judy Grebetz from Racine, Wisconsin. “I like to use three or four different-colored peppers for an extra-pretty presentation.” TASTY TIP: If using fresh oregano on this fish, triple the amount, notes Judy Grebetz. “Then serve with couscous or brown rice to round out the meal.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 3/4 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 medium lemon, halved and sliced
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Arrange fish and peppers over onion mixture. Cover and simmer for 6-9 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and peppers are tender. Remove fish and vegetables and keep warm.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over fish and vegetables. Serve with lemon.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 168 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Fish 'n' Peppers in Light & Tasty December/January 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.