Beef with Sweet Peppers
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook beef in oil until browned, about 4 minutes; drain. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute onion, peppers and garlic in butter until crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and seasonings; mix well. Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat is tender. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 375 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 27, 2009
This is a GREAT recipe although I usually modify it as I'm learning to cook with with cheaper cuts of meat (patio steaks, etc.). Some of the other modifications I normally use are (1)use only green peppers in it, (2)cook it for at least 2 hours or so in the final cooking, (3)use only 1.5 lbs of meat for six serving, (4)use three cans of diced/crushed/stewed tomatoes, again to help tenderize the meat, and (5)play around with the spices...basil, garlic, salt, pepper, italian seasoning, etc.This is a VERY easy recipe...uses things on hand...tastes great...and can be done VERY cost-efficiently. Thanks so much for sharing!!!