Quick Pork Chow Mein
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium green or sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup cubed cooked pork roast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Chow mein noodles
- In a large skillet, saute rice in butter and salt until golden. Add the onion, celery and green pepper; cook until crisp-tender. Dissolve bouillon in boiling water; add to the rice mixture. Add pork; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Combine cornstarch, cold water and soy sauce until smooth; gradually add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chow mein noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 291 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1113mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 26, 2011
This was delicious! I used low sodium soy, bouillon and just a pinch of salt. I also added beansprouts. Next time instead of bouillon, I may use low sodium chicken broth. I used leftover pork but will definitely be making this again using any other meat leftovers.
Dec 14, 2010
I liked this a lot. I didn't modify it but I may add canned chow mein vegetables but we liked it the way it is.
Mar 18, 2010
Use unsalted butter, no salt, low sodium bullion granules and soy sauce will cut down the very high sodium of this recipe.LAG
Mar 18, 2010
I make it a little differently. I don't combine the rice firstly. I start w/hamburger, add some garlic then any leftover meat I have. I use cken broth instead of granuals, 2 T Soy Sauce instead of 1. Other than that Sometimes peapods to go w/everything else. This is truely my "comfort food" dish. It's a good basic receipe! I didn't know anyone else did this receipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.