Chicken Chow Mein
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons julienned carrot
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chow mein noodles
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, salt and ginger until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the mushrooms, celery, onion, pepper and carrot in oil for 5 minutes. Add garlic; stir-fry 1-2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken; heat through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with chow mein noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 cup chow mein with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and 1 tablespoon chow mein noodles: 307 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 984mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Apr 2, 2017
I admit that I used roast rotisserie chicken, cubed! I didn't use the rice or chow mein noodles! I also used bamboo shoots, well-drained! Those were my 2 changes! This was a very tasty dish!
Jan 18, 2016
Excellent!!!! Could have fooled my husband if he hadn't seen me cooking. Served with hot Chinese mustard and noodles. Will make this often!!
Sep 26, 2013
I really like this recipe, however I much prefer Jasmine Rice. The nutty taste of Jasmine goes well with the Chow Mien although admittedly not as healthy as Brown Rice. Thanks for sharing.
Feb 4, 2013
This is a D'lish dish! I can not wait to make it again.
Feb 1, 2013
Very easy and tasty. Next time I would add almonds (or water chestnuts) and red pepper flakes.
Oct 14, 2011
My other half is a chinese lover; so for him to love this recipe says a lot. We do love it.
Sep 13, 2011
I have quite a few different chow mein recipes, but this one is definitely a cut above the rest. None of the flavors is overcome by the others. You can taste everything and the vegetables give the whole dish a very fresh quality. I didn't make any changes, but I did sprinkle some lightly salted cashews on top before serving. This is a keeper!!
Apr 24, 2011
tasted great! better the takeout chow mein and a whole lot healthier!