Tofu Chow Mein
This is an easy recipe for a "tofu beginner," as it teaches people how to use it. If you have time, one way to prepare it is to cut the tofu block in half and wrap well in a terry kitchen towel. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour to absorb excess water. For a complete meal, serve with Chinese soup and egg rolls! — Autumn SinClaire, Gold Beach, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) extra-firm tofu
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil; spread onto a baking sheet and let stand about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu into 1/2-in. cubes and blot dry. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel; place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add pasta, spreading evenly; cook until bottom is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry mushrooms, pepper and tofu until mushrooms are tender, 3-4 minutes. Add pasta and soy sauce; toss and heat through. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 417 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.