Tofu Chow Mein
This is an easy recipe for a "tofu beginner," as it teaches people how to use it. For best results, cut the tofu block in half and wrap well in a terry kitchen towel. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour to absorb excess water. For a complete meal, serve with Chinese soup and egg rolls! — Autumn SinClaire, Gold Beach, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 15 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) extra-firm tofu
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again. Toss with 1 tablespoon oil; spread onto a baking sheet and let stand about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut tofu into 1/2-in. cubes and blot dry. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel; place on a plate and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add pasta, spreading evenly; cook until bottom is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry mushrooms, pepper and tofu until mushrooms are tender, 3-4 minutes. Add pasta and soy sauce; toss and heat through. Sprinkle with green onions.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 417 calories, 17g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 588mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 fat, 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.