Saucy Vegetable Tofu
This is my daughter Tonya's favorite meal. Sometimes we make it with rigatoni and call it "Riga-Tonya." It's a great dinner and a nice way to prepare yummy vegetables for the kids. —Sandra Eckert, Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green or sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the onion, pepper and zucchini in oil until crisp-tender.
- Stir in tofu and spaghetti sauce; heat through. Drain pasta; serve with tofu mixture.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups tofu mixture with 2/3 cup pasta: 274 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Vegetable Rigatoni in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.