Crispy Tofu with Black Pepper Sauce
Sometimes tofu can be boring and tasteless, but not in this recipe! The crispy vegetarian bean curd is so loaded with flavor, you'll never shy away from tofu again. —Nick Iverson, Denver, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 4 green onions
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 ounces fresh sugar snap peas (about 2 cups), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- Mix first four ingredients. Mince white parts of green onions; thinly slice green parts.
- Cut tofu into 1/2-in. cubes; pat dry with paper towels. Toss tofu with cornstarch. In a large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu; cook until crisp and golden brown, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan; drain on paper towels.
- In same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add peas; stir-fry until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add pepper; cook 30 seconds. Add garlic, ginger and minced green onions; stir-fry 30-45 seconds. Stir in soy sauce mixture; cook and stir until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in tofu and peas. Sprinkle with sliced green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 316 calories, 24g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Crispy Tofu with Snap Peas & Black Pepper Sauce in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.