Black-Eyed Peas ‘n’ Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute green pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic until onion is tender. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add remaining ingredients to tomato mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Drain pasta; return to pot. Stir in black-eyed pea mixture.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 17, 2012
Tried it tonight for the first time. I didnt use the jalapeno pepper, I used a can of chopped green chillies instead. It made the dish spicy, but we all liked it. I think next time I will try without the chillies though and see how it tastes. :) We all had seconds.