- 1 package (16 ounces) dried black-eyed peas, rinsed and sorted
- 1/2 pound fully cooked boneless ham, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- Minced fresh cilantro, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Soak peas according to package directions.
- Transfer peas to a 6-qt. slow cooker; add the next 12 ingredients. Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours, until peas are tender. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired. Serve with rice.
Peppers (Hot)Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
3/4 cup: 170 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.