Asian Tofu Noodle Soup
Ginger, garlic and sherry jazz up this soup loaded with veggies and noodles. We like to accent ours with peanuts and green onions. —Diana Rios, Lytle, Texas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 7 ounces firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh snow peas, julienned
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces uncooked Chinese egg noodles or uncooked spaghetti
- Finely chopped peanuts and additional green onions, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic and, if desired, pepper flakes; cook and stir 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, broth, sherry and soy sauce; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add tofu, snow peas, carrot and green onions. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions; drain and divide among four bowls. Pour soup over noodles. If desired, sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 339 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1961mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Asian Tofu Noodle Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015