Cod with Hearty Tomato Sauce
My father made up this sweet, flavorful recipe for my mother when he took over the cooking. We serve it with whole wheat pasta or brown rice. —Ann Marie Eberhart, Gig Harbor, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place tomatoes in a blender. Cover and process until pureed.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add cod fillets; cook 2-4 minutes on each side or until surface of fish begins to color. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in seasonings and pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add cod; return just to a boil, spooning sauce over tops. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5-7 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Serve with pasta. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 3/4 cup sauce: 271 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Heavenly Cod in Simple & Delicious February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.