Cod with Hearty Tomato Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
- 4 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place tomatoes in a blender. Cover and process until pureed.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add cod fillets; cook until surface of fish begins to color, 2-4 minutes on each side. Remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until tender, 2-4 minutes. Stir in seasonings and pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add cod; return just to a boil, spooning sauce over tops. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork, 5-7 minutes. Serve with pasta. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 fillet with 3/4 cup sauce: 271 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 746mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 28, 2018
This is a really good recipe and a tasty way to do something different with cod! Instead of diced tomatoes with herbs and garlic, I used a large can of crushed tomatoes and added seasonings and fresh garlic along with the onions. We piled it in bowls on top of spaghetti. Everyone loved it! The red pepper flakes gave it a nice kick! Will definitely keep this recipe handy. It's simple to prepare and it's a keeper!