Yellow Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 pounds yellow tomatoes, halved (about 9 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place tomatoes, cut side down, in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons garlic and the salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and skins are charred. Cool slightly. Discard tomato skins. In a blender, process tomatoes until blended.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add remaining garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add broth and milk; bring to a boil. Carefully stir in tomato puree. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil).
- Meanwhile, for croutons, place bread on a baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Spread with pesto and sprinkle with goat cheese and pepper. Bake 2 minutes longer. Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 367 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 20, 2017
Delicious! I loved this soup!
Feb 23, 2015
This has to be hands down, the best tomato soup I have ever had. My husband, who usually cannot eat canned tomato soup loves it, and it doesn't give him heartburn like canned soup. Even my very picky father swears by this soup. Never buying canned again!
Jul 27, 2011
Beautiful balance of flavors in this soup. And the croutons are so delicious, I make extras and eat them without the soup.