Beef Wellington Fried Wontons
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped shallot
- 1 cup each chopped fresh shiitake, baby portobello and white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles, 4-5 minutes; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and shallot; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in mushrooms and wine. Cook until mushrooms are tender, 8-10 minutes; add to beef. Stir in parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place about 2 teaspoons filling in the center of each wonton wrapper. Combine egg and water. Moisten wonton edges with egg mixture; fold opposite corners over filling and press to seal.
- In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry wontons, a few at a time, until golden brown, 60-90 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Freeze option: Place filled wontons on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until they're firm, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge and cook as directed.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 wonton: 47 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 20, 2019
Apr 6, 2019
This recipe lists 3 separate cups of mushrooms. Is this a mistake? I think only 1 cup mushrooms? I want to use this recipe for a neighborhood block party but want to make sure ingredients are correct.
Jan 26, 2019
Oh so good! We devoured these. I made a double batch and made half of them like egg rolls. I served the wontons alongside a hearty minestrone. Yummy!
Dec 25, 2018
We just tried it tonight and LOVED it! Really easy to make and a great Chinese take out recipe for home!