Chicken Salad with Crispy Wontons
Here's a quick easy meal. My mom made it when I was growing up, but I added veggies and lightened the sweet-and-sour dressing. I also bake the crispy wontons instead of frying them. —Kylea Rorabaugh of Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups torn romaine
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- Lightly spritz both sides of wonton strips with cooking spray; place on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Turn strips over; broil 2-3 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, sugar, salt and pepper; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, chicken, peppers and tomatoes. Just before serving, drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with wonton strips.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 149 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 253mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chinese Chicken Salad with Crispy Wontons in Light & Tasty April/May 2005