Classic Beef Wellingtons
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and refrigerate until chilled.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut into two 7-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired). Place a steak in the center of each square; top with mushroom mixture. Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over top if desired. Brush with egg.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
Nutrition Facts1 beef wellington: 945 calories, 51g fat (13g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 10g fiber), 48g protein.
Mar 6, 2018
I've made this recipe with rave reviews!!
Feb 5, 2018
I didn't make it, so I can't rate it fairly, but "classic" or "real" beef Wellington is made with a pate de fois gras.
Jan 29, 2018
Terri—each box of puff pastry has 2 sheets of dough so cut each in half to get. 4,servings
Jan 26, 2018
Question: The recipe calls for four tenderloins but only two squares of the puff pastry - is the pastry divided in some way?
Jan 2, 2012
I was really surprised by how easy this was and how well it came out. Definitely a keeper!
Dec 27, 2011
easy and good
Dec 4, 2011
This was easy and delicious. The meat was well done, next time I will pan sear a shorter length of time.
Nov 4, 2011
I added garlic and red wine to my mushrooms and onions. It was amazing!! This was easy to make as well. I have always been scared to try to make this but it was one of the best dishes that I have done.
Oct 22, 2011
I made this recipe with elk tenderloin and it was fantastic and easy!! I have so much wild meat that I am always looking for new ways to serve it. 5-Stars. I even used canned mushrooms and it was delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.