Classic Beef Wellingtons
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and refrigerate until chilled.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut into two 7-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired). Place a steak in the center of each square; top with mushroom mixture. Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over top if desired. Brush with egg.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
Nutrition Facts1 beef wellington: 945 calories, 51g fat (13g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 866mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 10g fiber), 48g protein.
Jun 2, 2019
Excellent and easy to make. I only thing I did differently was marinated the meat for a day or two.
Mar 6, 2018
I've made this recipe with rave reviews!!
Feb 5, 2018
I didn't make it, so I can't rate it fairly, but "classic" or "real" beef Wellington is made with a pate de fois gras.
Jan 29, 2018
Terri—each box of puff pastry has 2 sheets of dough so cut each in half to get. 4,servings
Jan 26, 2018
Question: The recipe calls for four tenderloins but only two squares of the puff pastry - is the pastry divided in some way?
Jan 2, 2012
I was really surprised by how easy this was and how well it came out. Definitely a keeper!
Dec 27, 2011
easy and good
Dec 4, 2011
This was easy and delicious. The meat was well done, next time I will pan sear a shorter length of time.
Nov 4, 2011
I added garlic and red wine to my mushrooms and onions. It was amazing!! This was easy to make as well. I have always been scared to try to make this but it was one of the best dishes that I have done.
Oct 22, 2011
I made this recipe with elk tenderloin and it was fantastic and easy!! I have so much wild meat that I am always looking for new ways to serve it. 5-Stars. I even used canned mushrooms and it was delicious.