Classic Cashew Beef
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2/3 cup lightly salted cashews
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Stir-fry onions, cashews and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beef; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without rice): 380 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 463mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Jun 20, 2016
The sesame really makes the dish! I loved the sauce in this recipe - the soy sauce, sesame oil and cayenne. It was easy to make, light and delicious. My only suggestion is to add a bit more cayenne and fresh ginger for flavor.
Aug 11, 2015
This recipe was such a huge disappointment. After everyone's glowing reviews, I really looked forward to making this. I followed the recipe exactly and the result was a bland, tasteless dish that was a waste of pricey cashews. It tasted nothing like an "authentic" cashew beef. I won't be making this again!
Jul 17, 2012
Whole family (including kids aged 10, 8, 5, and 2) loved the flavor. I loved the suggested recipe that accompanied (sesame green beans with red peppers) as an alternative to typical stirfry veggies. This has become my new go-to for stirfry.
Nov 22, 2011
It's so easy and tastes fantastic. We like it even better with chicken. Big hit with the family.
Nov 11, 2011
An absolute hit! Everyone loves it!
Jun 1, 2011
Excellent taste!! This recipe is a keeper - my 3 yr old and 6 yr old sons really liked it. We definitely want to eat this again. I made the side that is shown - Sesame Green Beans - which is also a ToH recipe. They were a hit, too!
May 28, 2011
The whole family loved it!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.