BECAUSE it is so versatile, this colorful side dish is one of my standbys. You can serve it with most any entree, and with the "magic" of instant rice, it's ready in a short time. The vegetables add a touch of color while the cashews give this economical dish a "gourmet touch". -Pat Habiger, Spearville, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- Chopped cashews
- In a small saucepan, combine broth, carrot, celery, onion, butter and pepper. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Stir in rice; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cashews.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 117 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cashew Rice in Reminisce Extra August 1999