Sweet ‘n’ Sour Cashew Pork
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas (3 cups)
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and sherry until smooth; add pork and toss to coat. In another bowl, combine sugar and remaining cornstarch. Stir in the water, vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry pork in hot oil until no longer pink. Add the cashews, onions, ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peas and pineapple; stir-fry 3 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 371 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 1, 2012
A definite keeper!!! Very easy to make and full of flavor! I think I will add mushrooms and maybe some baby corn next time! Excellent recipe! Thank you!!!
Jun 6, 2010
Can't wait to try this recipe. I will probably cook it in the crock pot doing the meat first and adding the cashews, veggies and ginger the last 30 minutes.