Sweet ‘n’ Sour Cashew Pork
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 1 tablespoon sherry or chicken broth
- 1 pork tenderloin (1 pound), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh snow peas (3 cups)
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and sherry until smooth; add pork and toss to coat. In another bowl, combine sugar and remaining cornstarch. Stir in the water, vinegar, soy sauce and ketchup until smooth; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry pork in hot oil until no longer pink. Add the cashews, onions, ginger and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add peas and pineapple; stir-fry 3 minutes longer or until peas are crisp-tender.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 371 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 714mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
May 1, 2012
A definite keeper!!! Very easy to make and full of flavor! I think I will add mushrooms and maybe some baby corn next time! Excellent recipe! Thank you!!!
Jun 6, 2010
Can't wait to try this recipe. I will probably cook it in the crock pot doing the meat first and adding the cashews, veggies and ginger the last 30 minutes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.