Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + standing
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (15 ounces each) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- Flatten chicken to an even thickness. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil and 1 tablespoon butter for 4-5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and remaining butter. Unroll pastry sheets; cut each into a 9-in. square (discard scraps). Place a chicken breast half on each square; spread chicken with butter mixture. Fold pastry over chicken. Trim off excess pastry; pinch seams to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; brush with egg. Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, dissolve bouillon in hot water. In a small saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in bouillon and wine or broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 697 calories, 45g fat (20g saturated fat), 127mg cholesterol, 956mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 9, 2017
I was a little disappointed in this recipe. I loved the sauce; made with Chardonnay. But I really didn't like the chicken very much, I guess the best way to describe it would be "too herby."
Dec 7, 2015
If you ever want to impress, try this recipe. It's so simple, yet fit for a king. I omitted the rosemary and added a small bit of Old Bay. Delish!!!
Feb 5, 2013
This was very good. We loved it. The sauce was great. I used garlic and basil instead of the rosemary/ as I didn't have rosemary on hand.
Feb 16, 2012
I used phyllo dough and it turned out delicious!
Mar 31, 2011
We enjoyed this recipe. I found the spices to be perfect, but you bight adjust to your tate. I use chicken broth not wine and cut out leafs from pastry to place on top. Looks elegant and sauce is delicious.
Mar 1, 2010
OMG - this looks very expensive (rather elegant) and tastes just wonderful!We also made it without the rosemary & sage, added garlic and ground red papper, put a piece of pepperjack on before wrapping in the piecrust. Served with salsa for a whole new taste - Wellington a la Mexicana!!.
Sep 19, 2009
I find rosemary too strong a flavour so the second time I made this I substituted it with a milder leaf spice like oregano or basil and enjoyed it much more.