Italian Cheese Wontons
A cheesy filling gives wonton wrappers a taste-tempting, Italian twist. The hot and crisp snacks get gobbled up...no matter how many I make!—Barbara Pletzke, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 40 wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Marinara or spaghetti sauce, warmed
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Position a wonton wrapper with one point toward you. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Place 1 tablespoon filling in the center of wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling; fold sides toward center over filling. Roll toward the remaining point. Moisten top corner with water; press to seal. Repeat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Fry wontons, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with marinara.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the wonton filling the day before. Fill the wontons the day of the party; cover with damp paper towels and plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.