Caramel Nut Tart
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (3 ounces) cold cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1-1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in cream cheese and butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Roll out dough into a 10-in. circle. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with a removable bottom; trim edges.
- Line unpricked pastry with a double layer of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 400°.
- For filling, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread into crust.
- Place tart pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 342 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jan 3, 2013
My daughter and I love this tart! It could not be simpler to make -- so deceiving because it looks impressive and is positively decadent. We have mad additional caramel but its not necessary. Love it
Dec 3, 2012
I made this for a friend for Thanksgiving to serve at her get together. It was an immediate hit and I am making it again for Christmas. Because my springform is 11 inches. I doubled the entire recipe. With the extra tart dough, I used cutters to make leaves forvthe top. Doubling the filling -- well, that requires no explanation! Yummy. Thevrecipe is deceptively simple and looks very impressive.
Nov 14, 2012
just excellent, crust, filling, taste. so easy to make as well
Nov 6, 2012
Nov 4, 2012
I think you could probably use either salted or unsalted nuts. I was thinking of using unsalted but then sprinkling a bit of sea salt on after the baking was completed.
Nov 4, 2012
were the nuts salted or unsalted used in this recipe
Jan 12, 2012
This is one of the best tarts ever!! Next time I will double the caramel mixture. Really delicious!!!
Nov 18, 2011
The carmel over the nuts - followed by the baking made an excellent crunchy tart. I adjusted the temperature down and took the foil off sooner but otherwise followed the recipe. It is still wonderful on the 3rd day.
Nov 18, 2011
Oh my. This is very decadent. It reminds me of a caramel-pecan candy we found in Savannah.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.