Cherry-Almond Streusel Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries, thawed
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom; trim edges.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in cherries; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Pour into crust.
- For topping, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and almonds. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 298 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 22, 2019
I made this for a group Bible Study. The pan was scraped clean. I read the reviews and doubled the streusel topping and almond flavoring. I will definitely make this again.
Feb 2, 2015
This was very good. I used frozen dark sweet cherries. Sometimes the taste of the refrigerated crust doesn't always taste good to me. That is my only criticism I did add a little more almond extract. And doubled the crust ingredients My friends loved it!
Jul 24, 2013
Bland. The streusel topping does not make a sufficient amount to cover the tart (I doubled it and that was better). Not nearly enough almond extract to detect the flavor. Minimal sugar yields overly tart taste. Don't waste your fresh cherries :(
Jul 5, 2012
This is one of the best desserts I have ever had. I love cherry pie, but this was even better because it had all the goodness of a cherry pie AND a streusel. What more can a girl ask for? I must admit, I had to have a piece fo this for breakfast it was sooooo good. My mother always says if it has fruit and oatmeal in it, it is legal for breakfast.I should mention that I could not find tart cherries anywhere in town, so I used dark, sweet, pitted frozen cherries and they worked just fine in this recipe. I also increased the almond extract to 1/2 teaspoon because I wanted to bring out more of the almond flavor. It was fabulous!