Chocolate Pear Hazelnut Tart
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 canned pear halves, drained, sliced and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, mix flour, hazelnuts, brown sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Trim pastry even with edge. Prick bottom of pastry with a fork. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg yolks and amaretto. Beat in hazelnuts and cocoa.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the egg whites into hazelnut mixture, then fold in remaining whites. Spread onto bottom of pastry shell. Arrange pears over top.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Brush pears with warm honey. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 302 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 14, 2014
Can i use melted chocolate instead of baking cocoa? And fresh pears? It's here the time of year for pears, i love to use those! And i think that with melted chocolate the filling becomes more smooth. Cocoa makes it more powderish fo the taste. Thsnks in sdvance for answering. :-)
Sep 29, 2014
Good, but not great. Looks really impressive, but the chocolate filling isn't as smooth as I'd wished.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.