Chocolate Pear Hazelnut Tart
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 canned pear halves, drained, sliced and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons honey, warmed
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, mix flour, hazelnuts, brown sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk. Wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Trim crust even with edge. Prick bottom of crust with a fork. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until blended. Beat in egg yolks and amaretto. Beat in hazelnuts and cocoa.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the egg whites into hazelnut mixture, then fold in remaining whites. Spread onto bottom of crust. Arrange pears over top.
- Bake on a lower oven rack 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Brush pears with warm honey. Cool on a wire rack. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 302 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 14, 2014
Can i use melted chocolate instead of baking cocoa? And fresh pears? It's here the time of year for pears, i love to use those! And i think that with melted chocolate the filling becomes more smooth. Cocoa makes it more powderish fo the taste. Thsnks in sdvance for answering. :-)
Sep 29, 2014
Good, but not great. Looks really impressive, but the chocolate filling isn't as smooth as I'd wished.