Salted Caramel Walnut Tart
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. In a microwave, heat cream on high for 20 seconds. Keep warm. Meanwhile, in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and syrup, stirring frequently. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slowly pour cream into pan; continue stirring constantly (cream may spatter) until well blended. Gradually add butter, stirring until melted. Add vanilla and sea salt; stir until smooth. Cool.
- Unroll crust into a 9-in. tart pan; trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until edges are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until bottom is golden brown, 3-5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Whisk eggs into caramel mixture; stir in walnuts. Add filling to crust. Bake until center is just set (mixture will jiggle), 20-25 minutes. Cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 293 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 11, 2018
Made it twice already exactly as recipe lists and everyone loves it.
Dec 29, 2017
I made this for Christmas and everyone loved it. Such an easy recipe. I replaced the walnuts with toatsed pecans and added a layer of bittersweet chocolate chips on the bottom. Will definitely make this again.