Brisket Sliders with Caramelized Onions
For a dear friend’s going-away party, I made a juicy brisket and turned it into sliders. Cook the brisket ahead and slider assembly will be a breeze. —Marlies Coventry, North Vancouver, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 7 hours
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 24 mini buns
- Arugula and tomato slices, optional
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons salt, sugar, peppercorns and garlic; rub onto all sides of brisket. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, blue cheese, horseradish and cayenne. Refrigerate until assembling.
- Place carrots, chopped onions and celery in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Unwrap brisket; place on top of vegetables. In a small bowl, combine red wine, mustard and bay leaves; pour over brisket. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and remaining salt; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove brisket; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Thinly slice brisket across the grain; return to slow cooker. Pour juices over brisket.
- Serve brisket on buns with mayonnaise mixture and caramelized onions and, if desired, arugula and tomato slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slider: 272 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 876mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Brisket Sliders with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese Mayo in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.