Brisket Sliders with Caramelized Onions
For a dear friend’s going-away party, I made a juicy brisket and turned it into sliders. Cook the brisket ahead and slider assembly will be a breeze. —Marlies Coventry, North Vancouver, British Columbia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating Cook: 7 hours
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns, crushed
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 4 pounds)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup stone-ground mustard
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 24 mini buns
- Optional: Arugula and tomato slices
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons salt, sugar, peppercorns and garlic; rub onto all sides of brisket. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, blue cheese, horseradish and cayenne. Refrigerate until assembling.
- Place carrots, chopped onions and celery in a 6- or 7-qt. slow cooker. Place brisket on top of vegetables. In a small bowl, combine red wine, mustard and bay leaves; pour over brisket. Cook, covered, on low 7-9 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sliced onions and remaining salt; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-35 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Remove brisket; cool slightly. Reserve 1 cup cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Thinly slice brisket across the grain; return to slow cooker. Pour juices over brisket.
- Serve brisket on buns with mayonnaise mixture and caramelized onions and, if desired, arugula and tomato slices.