Chicken & Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in rosemary.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Drizzle with lemon juice; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Cut into strips.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and red peppers. Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over four slices of bread. Layer each with one slice cheese, chicken, onions and two slices of cheese. Spread remaining mayonnaise mixture over remaining bread; place over top. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Grill sandwiches, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 675 calories, 36g fat (12g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 1189mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 27, 2018
OMG this is delicious - i had some left over chicken from a rotisserie chicken and used that so it made it more simple and this is simply a keeper so good and so many flavors
Mar 25, 2018
Such a good sandwich that everyone loved! I cooked the chicken on the grill, assembled the sandwiches, than finished grilling on my panini press.