Grilled Bacon-Onion Appetizers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon strips
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Cut each onion into 12 wedges. Cut bacon strips in half widthwise; wrap a piece of bacon around each onion wedge and secure with toothpicks. Place in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, molasses and barbecue sauce; pour 1/2 cup over onions. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, turning once. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill onions, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 181 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jul 22, 2013
This was a really tasty recipe. Make sure you secure the bacon to the onion so it doesn't fall apart!
Oct 28, 2012
Sep 30, 2012
I totally messed up the recipe, and yet it still worked perfectly. I BBQ'd on my Dad's grill, and it was too hot. So the bacon burned a bit, and the onions weren't as tender as I'd have liked. But, oh man, that sauce, the taste and texture combo is off the charts, and has me ready to make them again. They definitely go into the "Yummy" file. :)
Sep 27, 2011
The "grilling" can be done under the broiler too. You don't get the smoke flavor of the bbq, but they are still tasty. I've made these for church picnics and come home with an empty tray. I recently made them for my parents 50th anniversary reception. Of several appetizers available, this one was the first to disappear. I personally think they are addictive - you can't eat just one!
Feb 1, 2010
You've gotta try this recipe!!! Easy and rave reviews. I serve all summer long and everyone requests the recipe. Flavor is fantastic and you along with your family/guests will enjoy
Jul 17, 2009
can these be done in the oven?
Jun 16, 2009
These onions are really good, and I make them every barbecue season.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.