Grilled Onion & Skirt Steak Tacos
I grew up watching my grandmother and mother in the kitchen. My grandparents came from Mexico, and this steak marinated in beer and lime juice honors their passion for cooking. —Adan Franco, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 5 min.
- 2 beef skirt or flank steaks (1 pound each)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 spring onions
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Corn tortillas, minced fresh cilantro and lime wedges
- Pound beef with a meat mallet to tenderize. In a large bowl, mix beer, lime juice and 2 tablespoons oil until blended. Add beef to marinade; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut partially through onions, leaving tops intact. Drizzle with remaining oil; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade; sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. On a greased grill rack, grill steaks and onions, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 2-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°) and onions are crisp-tender. Cut steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with tortillas, onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without tortillas, cilantro and lime wedges): 288 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 458mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Marinated Skirt Steak with Bulb Onions in Taste of Home April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips