Baked Parmesan Broccoli
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 4 bunches broccoli, cut into florets
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place half of broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; repeat with remaining broccoli.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; stir in the cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over broccoli.
- In a small skillet, cook bread crumbs in remaining butter until golden brown; sprinkle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-18 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 191 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 388mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 16, 2017
I loved it.I well make it.??????????????????????
May 2, 2017
I added seasoned Panko and carrots to the dish. Delicious! Thank you, Barbara, for sharing this recipe.
Jan 16, 2017
Very good! A little more effort than I usually put into vegetables, but very tasty.
Nov 10, 2016
Wanted to try this for Thanksgiving so trial batch today. Very good going to serve instead of the classic green bean casserole. Same creamy texture but a step up with the fresh broccoli and homemade sauce. Looks pretty too!
May 1, 2016
I thought this was very good. Great way to add some flavor to broccoli if you are willing to put in the effort.
Jan 14, 2014
Very good recipe. This will help us eat more broccoli :)
Jan 11, 2014
I am so impressed with this recipe and it is so easy, my grandkids love broccoli so it was a huge hit
Mar 31, 2013
Delicious!!!! I used Panko Italian bread crumbs and it came out great! Made the full recipe the night before and cooked it the next day and it came out GREAT! My teenage boys loved it!
Dec 24, 2012
This was good, but a little too rich for my liking.
Dec 18, 2011
This recipe came out great! The creamy sauce compliments the broccoli very well. I made it the night before (without breadcrumbs) and refrigerated it until cooking it the next day. I sprinkled on the breadcrumbs right before cooking, and it came out wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.