"I received the recipe for this hearty ground beef and cabbage casserole from a teacher at the preschool where I work," notes Judy Thorn of Mars, Pennsylvania. "It's a nutritious and economical meal for busy families."
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the cabbage in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, salt if desired and pepper; spoon over cabbage.
- Combine soup and water; pour over beef mixture. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until rice and cabbage are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Unstuffed Cabbage in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p61
Reviews for Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review