- 2-1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups uncooked kluski or other egg noodles (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches, skin side down; cook 3-4 minutes or until dark golden brown. Remove chicken from pan; remove and discard skin. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons.
- Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Add celery, carrots, bay leaves and thyme. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Transfer chicken to a plate. Remove soup from heat. Add noodles; let stand, covered, 20-22 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Meanwhile, when chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Shred meat into bite-size pieces. Return meat to stockpot. Stir in parsley and lemon juice. Adjust seasoning with salt and remaining 3/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for The Ultimate Chicken Noodle Soup
"really good. I also use the better than bouillon. that's the only change. my daughter-in-law says its the best chicken noodle soup she has ever tasted. will only use this recipe from now on."
"This is the tastiest chicken soup I've ever tried! One reviewer mentioned it was "tasteless" but I completely disagree. The recipe is a bit lengthy, so maybe some people aren't taking the time to read the directions thoroughly. I followed the recipe to a T and thought it was delicious."
"I have to agree with Jodie Leigh. This is a tasteless soup. I even added pepper and salt to try to improve it. I followed the recipe exactly and don't know why mine didn't come out like everyone claims to be so good. I will never fix again."
"What an outstanding recipe and definitely a new favorite! Although the ingredients are quite similar to my homemade chicken noodle soup, the prep is a bit different, and the kluski noodles are amazing. We are not fans of dark meat, so I did use chicken breasts and we still thought the soup was great! I can't wait to make it again! Thank you, Gina!"
"I couldn't disagree more with the person reviewing this that think this is a "tasteless" soup. It is phenomenal! I was so glad to see you used chicken thighs. They have so much more flavor than the white meat. And the kluski noodles really pushed this soup over the top."
"I will never buy a can of chicken noodle soup again. This was absolutely delicious! Can't wait to make it again!"
"This was a very tasteless chicken soup. I made it by the recipe and there was no flavor whatsoever."
"Absolutely delicious! I took a big bowl to my 79-year old mom after she had surgery and she declared it wonderful, too! And, she makes her own homemade chicken and noodles which have legendary status in the family, so I considered that high praise. I was able to score bone-in chicken thighs on sale at Aldi's for 49-cents a pound, so this soup was not only delicious, but very inexpensive to make. Thankfully, I bought plenty of chicken thighs so I can make it again! I did add some "Better Than Bouillion" paste (chicken flavored) and put a few more carrots in than the recipe called for, but otherwise didn't change a thing! Thank you for sharing the recipe!"