- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/3 cup solid-pack pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato, onion and peppers; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until potato is cooked halfway through.
- Stir in beans, corn, chilies, salt and cumin; heat through. Stir in broth and cream cheese until blended. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine corn bread mix, egg, milk and pumpkin. Spoon over bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the topping portion comes out clean.
To Make Ahead: Can be made a day in advance. Prepare as directed, omitting topping. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Prepare topping and bake as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Tex-Mex Bean Bake with Corn Bread Topping in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p194
Reviews for Tex-Mex Bean Bake with Corn Bread Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review