- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pretty Penne Ham Skillet
"This was good , but a little runny. enjoyed."
"This is a fantastic recipe. I happened to have some mushrooms so added them in while cooking the other veggies. It was delicious."
"Loved it. Had one and a half grilled ham steaks left over. Added an extra cup of homemade chicken broth and every one found it very tasty. Thanks for a easy and great recipe. :-):-):-):-)"
"Made this about a month ago. We thought it was dry and that it did not need as much oil and butter. Actually used one T of olive oil and 2 T of broth to saute onion, red pepper and ham in the first place. I did continue to add broth throughout. I used no-salt added vegetable broth as it always seems richer to me and gives a little more flavor than chicken broth. After I had everything put together I checked for moisture and added a couple T of milk and the same of more broth.Quick recipe and nice idea."
"Excellent dish. I changed very little to the existing recipe. Used left over ham from Easter. GOYA FOODS has a ham flavored concentrate packet that added more ham flavor. If you do not mind using packaged food products to flavor. My fresh chives were ready to cut, and gave more flavor to dish. Light and tasty. Husband said only a glass of wine was missing. May try adding wine next time we make it. Thank you. Pleasant change from heavy sauces."
"My sons and I didn't really care for it. We thought it was a bit dry."
"Quick and easy with good flavor. A nice change from red/white sauce. I don't see this being a dish that is requested in our house but I would make it again for convenience of ease and time."
"Yummy! Light and very flavorful sauce. Cooked up pretty quickly."
"My family loves this recipe. Quick easy meal on one of those busy nights."
"Really good. The light sauce was a nice change from typical sauces. Recipe does make quite a bit."