- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add ham, red pepper and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until ham is browned and vegetables are tender. Add garlic and herbs; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add pasta; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pretty Penne Ham Skillet
Sort By :
The whole family enjoyed this dish. I included a very finely chopped zucchini to add some nutritional value and my picky son didn't notice. A nice change from the usual pasta in red sauce. I will definately make this again.
We loved this recipe! Definitely quick and easy. The only changes that I made were to use tri-color penne and to double the lemon juice. I served this with Greek salad and garlic bread.
I guess I'm just not a pasta eater, because I found this to be boring. I used fresh herbs and grated the parmesan myself, and I still felt it lacked something. I juiced a whole lemon to get some zing to the broth. I took a look at the reduced "sauce" and only tossed in half the pasta.
I make this at least monthly. I normally have all the ingredients on hand, it's easy, and the family loves it. I do use bow tie pasta instead though.
My family loved it! My dad took leftovers to work and later on in the month he brought 3 lunches of the same dish because everyone in his office wanted some!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ham Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >